When the Giller Prize longlist was announced on Sept. 24th, I decided to reserve at the library as many books as I could from the thirteen-book list. There were a few I omitted: Sanctuary Line by Jane Urquhart (I’ve read a couple of her books, but her writing is not my cup of tea) and a few others for lack of interest or availability.
So I narrowed the list down to my own ‘shortlist’ of eight titles. I plan to see if I can possibly read as many as possible before the announcement of the prizewinner on Nov. 9th. Then I can gloat or pout depending on the result! The bonus is that I will read some damn fine Canadian fiction before the year is through.
Kendra’s Giller Shortlist
- Cool Water by Dianne Warren. The first one is done! Read my review here.
- Annabel by Kathleen Winter
- Cities of Refuge by Michael Helm
- Lemon by Cordelia Strube
- This Cake is for the Party by Sarah Selecky
- The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
- Matter with Morris by David Bergen
- The Sentimentalists by Johanna Shively Skibsrud
I’ll be posting my reviews here and on GoodReads in the next five weeks. I’d love to hear what everyone else is saying about these books!